Fast forward to this year. I knew a couple of the kids coming in. I was looking forward to the first day of school because I wanted to see my kids from last year. The first couple weeks of school I found every opportunity to talk to the kids from my previous class. While I liked my new class I still longed for last years kids.
November 3rd. I am in love with my class. While I didn't think it was possible, I love them just like I loved the kids last year. This must be what parents talk about when they have more than 1 child. They wonder "Will I be able to love this new child as much?". And then answer is always yes. Your heart finds room and you experience that pure, unconditional love.
For over 7 hours a day I have the responsibility of loving, teaching, nurturing, entertaining, listening, zipping, tying, nudging, explaining, exploring, disciplining, correcting, laughing and living life with these children. The days can become monotonous, but I need to remember what a GIFT each day with them is. Our time together is short and before I know it we will be sitting in a circle remembering our year together and saying goodbye.
I just met with their parents today and it rejuvenates me. These caretakers are incredible people. One mom works second shift and goes to school. During the day she is going to volunteer at a group home. She says she wants to better herself on her own. What an example for her daughter. Another woman is 50 years old and raising an energetic little boy. She raised her sisters kids too. She sees so much in this boy and I appreciate that about her. One little boy is being raised by 3 generations of women. Separated parents are coming together for the sake of their children. This motivates me to do my job to the fullest.
They are all precious and unique. There is one little boy that has caused my heart to overflow with love and joy. He is smart and quiet, but has a smile that will light up the room. He doesn't seek affection or attention like the others. He has yet to initiate a hug with me. His life has not been easy. Yet he believes that even though he is just a kid he has power and influence. I have learned a great deal from him in only 2 months together.
No comments:
Post a Comment