Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thankful.

I am thankful that I choose to be a teacher when I was in the first grade.
I am thankful that my dad said I would be a teacher just like my mom despite my denial.
I am thankful to have the trust of families to instruct their lovely children.
I am thankful that God led me to this school right out of college.

Some people believe in fate.  I believe in God.  I believe that everything happens under God's guidance and direction.

Every day I get to be a teacher and see the world from a child's perspective.  For that I am thankful.  I get to hear precious laughter.  I get to see the building blocks of learning.  I get to hear apologies, encouragement, and see kindness and generosity.  For this I am thankful.

Last night I went to a parent meeting for a program at our school.  One of my students was there.  Last year he was put on half days and almost kicked out due to behavior.  His mom said in front of everyone that she can't believe his transformation this year.  He is a new kid.  He can read and he is eager about school.  I never like to give myself credit for things.  But I might have had a role in that and I need to recognize that encouragement as a gift from God.

And my little favorite continues to open up to me.  He is laughing and smiling and seeking that approval and affection from me.  At recess he was being chased by another child and ran up and grabbed onto me.  He cried when I expressed disappointment for his behavior in art.  I love the opportunity to tell kids that others need to see what I see in them and that they are so smart and special.  I love the opportunity to speak to kids in a positive way.

I feel like I could explode with thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment