Saturday, November 19, 2011

Small moments

Life is a series of small moments.  Many days I miss these small moments.  When I catch these small moments my heart is full of joy and gratitude for the many blessings that God gives me each day.

"If we magnified blessings as much as we magnify disappointments, we would all be much happier."

While I do believe that life has peaks and valleys I also believe that the peaks can be higher and the valleys not as low if we notice the small, wonderful moments in life.

Kids laughing.  Middle schoolers volunteering for a greater cause.  Students encouraging one another.  A stranger holding the door.  

I have received 3 apples this year from students.  It is a small gesture, but one that implies that they were thinking of me.  On Friday I received a bag of chips from my little favorite.  He also said that he tried to get me a plate of food at the center he goes to after school, but they wouldn't let him.  Do you see how this is the beginning of generosity?  Jesus tells a story about an offering at a church.  The wealthy were putting in some and then a widow came and put in nearly everything she had.  Generosity and giving is not measure by the actual amount, but is actually relative to what one has.  

I am amazed by the power of love and affection.  Two weeks ago, my little favorite could really care less that I was in the classroom.  He did his work and minded his P's and Q's.  I've been trying to be very attentive to him and boy have things changed.  Now, he is constantly coming up to me to tell me things and stands right on my hip after school.  On Thursday I told him I would give him a special note.  About 5 minute later he came up to me and asked if I had forgotten already. :)  As we were walking to the door after school on Friday he grabbed my hand.  I love all of my students, some just have greater needs than others.  


No comments:

Post a Comment