Monday, November 7, 2011

Little Things

Joy.  Joy is such a fleeting emotion.  We can't always predict when it will come around, but when it does we wish that it would stay longer.  Perhaps that's the beauty of it.

Today was a day full of JOY.  I have found the joy factor of teaching.  When the classroom is a place of laughter it is comfortable.  When students feel comfortable the classroom is peaceful.  

My little friend is the only students that has never reached out to give me a hug.  I want him to trust me and know that I care for him.  But I will never pressure him to give me a hug.  It needs to happen by choice.  Today I gave the kids a choice to give me a hug, high five or handshake.  To my surprise he choose a hug.  JOY.  The other 25 choose hug as well, but his was special because it was the first. 

After school he ran up to his 5th grade sister and held onto her.  He said he missed her during the day.  She said she missed him too.  I so badly want to be that person to him, but need to realize that I might not be and that is ok.  His sister is always there for him and he knows that.  She has cared for and protected him.  It is hard to love, but realize your own limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment