Sunday, September 11, 2011

Intention.

I still remember walking down the learning center stairs at Tosa East high school when my friend stopped me and said "Did you hear what happened?".  I vaguely remember watching the news about the attack on the World Trade center on a box TV in my second hour class.  But to be honest, I don't remember the event any differently than I do Princess Diana dying or other big events that happened over the years.  I was 15.  I was probably pretty consumed with my life and my business that I didn't spend too much time thinking about the gravity of what had just happened.

Fast forward 10 years to September 11, 2011.  This morning all of the names of those who died were read.  The names were read by family members of those who had passed while their names, pictures and ages were posted on the bottom of the screen.  While I didn't know anyone affected that day, I felt so connected to them.  Some were just a few years older than me.  Life was changed for thousands that day and I hurt for them.  While most have moved on in life, they still hurt everyday for the life that was lost.  It is a pain I have never felt.  Some knew that death was close as they talked to loved ones on the phone, but others were totally unaware.  They woke up in the morning, maybe had breakfast, some coffee, read the paper and then walked out the door assuming they would be back later that day.  Would they have started their morning differently if they knew if would be their last?  How would they have lived the previous week if they knew if would be their last?  

I suppose it convicts us all to live more intentionally and more freely.  Some of us will be afforded a long life with lots of opportunities to go and see and love and forgive, but some of us will not.  Focus on who you want to be and the legacy you want to leave and go after it NOW.  Go on a road trip.  Get an ice cream cone.  Give. Love. Be grateful.  Tell others about Jesus.  Take up a new hobby.  


No comments:

Post a Comment